Talk Radio Day, Live From the United Nations
UN Foundation and Talkers Magazine Bring the UN to a Nationwide Radio Audience
New York, NY — June 9, 2011
The United Nations Foundation and Talkers Magazine today host the sixth annual "Talk Radio Day at the UN." More than 20 talk radio hosts from across the United States will be airing their shows from the United Nations in New York.The hosts will be interviewing UN Ambassadors and officials from the UN and its agencies to offer listeners first-hand accounts about the work of the United Nations.
"Whether it is leading the global fight against AIDS, or protecting civilians from Cote d’Ivoire to Libya, the UN is at the forefront of the major challenges facing the world today," said Timothy E. Wirth, President of the United Nations Foundation. "We are pleased to celebrate the sixth anniversary of this event and to be able to provide the American public the opportunity to learn more about the UN’s work by hearing directly from its staff and officials."
"Talk radio and its dedicated community of listeners represents millions of Americans across the U.S.," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers Magazine. "This is a terrific opportunity for our hosts to bring the work of the men and women of the UN to America’s kitchens, drive times and mobile devices."
The talk radio hosts will be on the air live from the United Nations today from 5:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m., offering millions of Americans the opportunity to learn more about the day-to-day operations of the international organization. They will discuss topics ranging from the massive humanitarian relief effort following the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti to the UN’s multi-faceted approach to peacekeeping missions around the globe. Several UN guests will focus on the UN’s role in combating poverty and improving the health and living standards for millions around the world through the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
This year’s participating talk radio hosts include:
- Doug Stephan, Stephan Productions, 5:00AM – 10:00AM
- Mark Riley, WWRL, New York, 6:00AM – 9:00AM
- Talk Radio News Service, 6:00AM – 7:00PM
- Howard Monroe and Bob Ney, WVLY, Wheeling, WV, 7:00AM – 10:00AM
- George Russell, WSMN and WYCN tv13, Nashua, NH, 7:30AM – 8:00AM
- Dr. Joy Browne, WOR Radio Network, 9:00AM – 11:00AM
- Michael Lebron (“Lionel”), WPIX-TV, New York, 9:00AM – 11:00AM
- Stephanie Miller & John Fugelsang, Dial Global Radio Network, 9:00AM – 12:00PM
- Dan Patterson, ABC News Radio, 10:00AM – 1:00PM
- Trevor Smith, Aloha Media Pty Ltd, 10:00AM – 2:00PM
- Mike Siegel, Business Talk Radio Network,11:30AM – 1:30PM
- Kate Delaney, Genesis Communications Network, 12:00PM – 3:00PM
- Thom Hartmann, Dial Global Radio Network,12:00PM – 3:00PM
- Rick Smith, WIOO and WEOO, Central Pennsylvania, 12:00PM – 3:00PM
- Alan Colmes, Fox News Radio, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Larry Young, WOLB, Baltimore, 2:00PM – 5:00PM
- Ken Pittman, WBSM AM, Southeastern, MA, 2:00PM – 6:00PM
- Rusty Humphries, Talk Radio Network and WGST, Atlanta, GA, 3:00PM – 7:00PM
- Lars Larson, Compass Radio Network and KXL, Portland, OR, 3:00PM – 7:00PM
- Phil Valentine, Westwood One, 3:00PM – 7:00PM
- Patt Morrison, Southern California Public Radio, 4:00PM – 6:00PM
About the United Nations Foundation
The United Nations Foundation, a public charity, was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner’s historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. We build and implement public/private partnerships to address the world’s most pressing problems, and work to broaden support for the UN through advocacy and public outreach. Through our campaigns and partnerships, we connect people, ideas, and resources to help the UN solve global problems. These campaigns focus on reducing child mortality, empowering women and girls, creating a new energy future, securing peace and human rights, and promoting technology innovation to improve health outcomes. These solutions are helping the UN advance the eight global targets known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). For more information, visit www.unfoundation.org.