Global Mom Relay
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why are you creating the Global Mom Relay?
Moms are often the glue that holds families and therefore, humanity together. Healthy families promote healthy communities – and so many moms are passionate about helping their own families and families around the world achieve health and happiness. That is why the United Nations Foundation, Johnson & Johnson, BabyCenter, The Huffington Post, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are launching a Global Mom Relay of moms and their friends from around the world sharing stories of motherhood to inspire action to help improve the lives of mothers and children everywhere.
2. How will you inspire action?
The Global Mom Relay will bring together global and local voices to discuss motherhood and how to help every woman and every child lead healthier lives. Each day for 60 days, participants in the relay will use media tools ranging from interviews to blog posts to photos and videos to highlight the power of motherhood, to share an issue and cause they are committed to, or to talk about the mom who inspires them. They will then “pass the baton” to the next relay participant.
Each time you share a Global Mom Relay piece on Facebook, Twitter, or Email, or donate $5 or more, a $5 donation (up to $62,500 per week or $125,000 every two weeks) will be donated by Johnson & Johnson and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to to one of four initiatives that are helping women and children lead healthy and happy lives – Girl Up, the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA), and the Shot@Life campaign.
3. Are you trying to create an additional movement of mothers engaged on Global Health issues? How is this different from ONE Moms, the Million Moms Challenge, Every Mother Counts, the Global Motherhood portal on Huffington Post, etc?
The Global Mom Relay is not an additional movement, but rather a campaign that builds on the momentum already created around these important issues and hopefully will inspire more people from various communities to actively share and donate to four key causes related to maternal and child health.
The relay will leverage and complement existing communities to reach mothers and their friends in countries across the world on global health issues. We will most certainly be inviting other maternal and child health partners to support the Global Mom Relay as they feel able to.
The Global Mom Relay will bring awareness and new donors to four initiatives that are making a real impact in helping women and children lead healthy and happy lives -- Shot@Life, the Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA), Girl Up, and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
4. How are the participants selected?
Global health experts, girls and women from the countries most impacted by these issues, celebrities, world leaders, bloggers and everyday moms have been hand-selected by the Global Mom Relay team, based on their interest in aligning with global causes like ours and an interest to help raise funds.
Participants are not paid for participating in the Global Mom Relay.
5. What are our sponsorship plans? Where will the money come from?
Johnson & Johnson and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have committed to donating $5 for each share of a post or a donation of $5 or more (up to $62,500 per week or $125,000 every two weeks). The funds will be distributed amongst the four initiatives that are helping women and children lead healthy and happy lives – the Shot@Life campaign, the Mobile Alliance for Maternal Action (MAMA), Girl Up, and the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
6. When will the Global Mom Relay be announced? What is the overall timeline for 2013?
The Global Mom Relay was announced in September 2012 at the Social Good Summit. The relay kicked off on March 8, 2013 - International Women’s Day and will culminate with Mom+Social on May 8, 2013 in honor of Mother’s Day.
The editorial calendar will focus on a different issue and beneficiary every two weeks.
- March 8-21 Girl Up – Girl Up: promoting girls’ education and empowerment
- March 22- April 5 The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves: helping moms and children access save stoves because cooking shouldn’t kill
- April 5-18 – MAMA: utilizing the latest mobile technologies to provide pre-natal care
- April 19-May 2 – Shot@Life: providing vaccines to give every child a cost effective shot at a healthy life
- May 3-May 6 – messages from additional experts and possibly readers who’ve participated in sharing and supporting the relay.
7. How are shares/donations counted?
Each time a person shares a relay post on Facebook, Twitter or Email, or donations $5 or more via the widget graphic included in the Global Mom Relay post or the tickers included on the platform such as Huffington Post, the action will automatically be counted and matched with a $5 combined donation by Johnson & Johnson and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (up to $62,500 per week or $125,000 every two weeks).
Facebook post shares are also being included from the United Nations Foundation, Girl Up, Shot@Life, BabyCenter, Johnson & Johnson, Huffington Post, and Gates Foundation Facebook pages.
8. Are multiple shares and donations by the same person still counted or the first?
Multiple shares and donations by the same person will count as long as they click “skip” or “already submitted” on the survey that asks them to enter their email for a chance to win a seat at Mom+Social and as long as they share or donate using the Global Mom Relay widget or tickers on the host sites for the content (ie: Huffington Post, BabyCenter, etc...)
9. How will the individual causes and the Global Mom Relay be referenced in each post?
The Global Mom Relay will be referenced in the last paragraph of each of the posts. Each writer will be required to end their blog with a boilerplate statement explaining the relay, listing our sponsors, the relevant cause and a contest to attend Mom+Social, a one-day global summit held at the 92TriBeCa in New York City. The summit will connect mothers to each other, worldwide experts, and leaders to inspire action that leverages the unique power of social media to improve the lives of families, of communities, and our world.
Additionally, a small widget that makes it easy to donate and share content through email and social media will be displayed in each of the Global Mom Relay posts.
10. How will the money be used?
- Girl Up: With support from the Global Mom Relay, Girl Up is able to help thousands of girls around the world go to school, see a doctor, stay safe from violence and work toward a brighter future for themselves, their families, and their communities. Current areas of focus are: Liberia, Guatemala, Ethiopia, and Malawi. $5 pays for school for 5 months for a girl in Ethiopia.
- Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves: Cooking kills, but it doesn't have to. The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves supports motherhood through its work to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women, and protect the environment by creating a market for clean cooking solutions. A $5 donation supports the Alliance's work to provide refugees with access to clean cooking solutions.
- MAMA: By investing in MAMA, you are helping new and expectant mothers living in poverty access vital health information through their mobile phones, guiding them through pregnancy and up to their babies first year. $5 provides a mother six months of mobile health messages to guide her throughout pregnancy and baby’s first year. Areas of current focus include Bangladesh, South Africa and 8 other countries.
- Shot@Life: Every 20 seconds around the world, a child dies of a disease that could have been prevented by a vaccine. By investing in Shot@Life, you can help ensure that all children-- no matter where they live-- have a shot at a healthy life. $5 protects a child from polio and measles for his/her lifetime. Funds support the immunization efforts of WHO, UNICEF and the GAVI Alliance who distribute them to the programs and countries with the greatest need.
11. When will the content be posted?
Posts will be up around 9 a.m. ET each day from March 8 to May 6.
12. How will the posts/content be promoted?
Posts will live across many different platforms and websites based on the participant. For example, our co-chair Arianna Huffington will share her story on HuffingtonPost.com. The partners in the relay – Johnson & Johnson, the United Nations Foundation, Huffington Post and BabyCenter will also share posts and help share the Global Mom Relay on their respective websites. Globalmomrelay.org will serve as an online hub where people can view the calendar with more information about the participants, as well as easy ways to take action and learn more about the partners and beneficiaries.
All Global Mom Relay participants are also asked to promote their own and the other stories through their social media channels as possible. Partners will similarly promote the campaign and invite their communities to participate and share the messages of the Global Mom Relay.
13. How can existing supporters of each campaign participate in the Global Mom Relay?
Supporters can help amplify the important conversation by sharing each post on their social media channels and donating as they can to their favorite causes.
14. How does the Global Mom Relay differ from Shot@Life’s Blogust Relay for Good?
Blogust specifically invited bloggers and engaged them and their communities on an initiative to match comments on each blog post with a donation for one cause, Shot@Life. The Global Mom Relay will run across four causes and invites people to act by sharing and donating themselves, rather than commenting.
The Global Mom Relay will also live across multiple platforms including television, radio, online, blogs and videos. The participants will range from celebrities, world leaders, global health experts, moms from countries most impacted, and American moms and bloggers.
15. What is Mom+Social?
Mom+Social is a special one-day global summit focused on motherhood and the role of social media, technology, and philanthropy to improve the health of mothers and children everywhere. Gathering at New York’s 92TriBeCa, and livestreamed to the world, this event will put moms at the forefront of the discussion. This will be the culminating event of the Global Mom Relay.
16. What are the prizes and rules of the Global Mom Relay contest?
Click here for the full list of terms and conditions.