#GivingTuesday, which follows the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, kicks off the holiday giving season with a global day dedicated to charitable giving, harnessing the power of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in their communities.
#GivingTuesday celebrates and encourages people to give their time, resources, talents and social media voice to a new kind of philanthropy that is about social purpose and collaboration for a better world.
The first-ever #GivingTuesday in 2012 brought together more than 2,500 partners in all 50 U.S. states. These partners created innovative fundraising and volunteer initiatives fueled by and shared on social media. Leading organizations in the sector including Blackbaud, Network for Good and Donor Perfect shared data pointing to more than a 50 percent increase in online giving on #GivingTuesday 2012, compared with the same day the previous year. Two months ahead of #GivingTuesday 2013, the number of non-profits and businesses joining in the movement is growing toward the goal of 5,000 partners, including multinational corporations and major philanthropic organizations.
In 2013, organizations in countries around the world have joined the #GivingTuesday movement, creating initiatives in Australia, Canada and Mexico; additional countries are expected to sign on in the coming weeks. #GivingTuesday communities are joining a global movement of individuals and organizations that believe that everyone – whether a large or small donor – has a role in helping solve challenges at a local and global level.
Helen Clark, administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), said, “I think the democratization of giving really invigorates people to think, ‘Yes I could make a difference. I could urge others to make a difference. I can demand that government make a difference.’ We want to encourage people to get engaged and to give back; it does not have to be money – it can be engagement or advocacy, raising your voice, or offering your time and expertise.”
· In the inaugural year, 2012, over 2,500 charities, volunteer organizations, corporations and foundations came together in all 50 U.S. states
· The collective efforts of partners, donors and advocates helped fuel a marked increase in charitable giving on GivingTuesday. Blackbaud processed over $10 million in online donations on Nov. 27 – a 53% increase when compared to the Tuesday after Thanksgiving the previous year. DonorPerfect recorded a 46% increase in online donations and the average gift increased 25%.
· #GivingTuesday 2012 garnered 2.5 million social media impressions and the #GivingTuesday hashtag was mentioned 185,000 times resulting in national and international trending.
· Over 800 press hits (59 million impressions) including NPR, CBS Evening News, ABC News, USA Today, the Huffington Post, Forbes, Mashable, the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times.
· Bill Gates, the White House, the Clinton Foundation and numerous socially-conscious celebrities publically supported GivingTuesday on their blogs and social media channels.
· U.S. Mayors of Chicago, Philadelphia and New York formally endorsed GivingTuesday.
· Based on survey results, we anticipate 95% of 2012 GivingTuesday partners will return this year.
· Officially endorsed by the Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy, InterAction, Dorothy A. Johnson Center on Philanthropy, Lodestar Center, Giving USA Foundation and other prominent academic and membership organizations in the philanthropic community have endorsed GivingTuesday. Charity Navigator, GuideStar, GiveWell and VolunteerMatch serve as charity and volunteer advisors.
Latest Blog Post: “Your 60-day notice”
DOWNLOAD AND USE OUR BANNER ADS: (Right click on image and choose "Save image as")
SAMPLE SOCIAL MEDIA LANGUAGE:
60 days until #GivingTuesday! Now is the time to get involved. See what makes this year’s national day of giving bigger and bolder.
Get involved: (http://www.givingtuesday.org/)
Save the Date! #GivingTuesday is coming back on December 3, 2013. This year’s national day of giving has gone global to create a bigger and bolder impact.
Learn more: (http://www.givingtuesday.org/)
The 60-day countdown to #GivingTuesday begins! People around the world are coming together to make this the biggest national day of giving ever.
Join us: (http://www.givingtuesday.org/)
#GivingTuesday is a day to encourage everyone to give back to their communities and help build a better world. Join us on December 3, 2013. How do you plan on giving back? (http://www.givingtuesday.org/)
60 days until #GivingTuesday! See what makes this year’s national day of giving bigger and bolder: http://bit.ly/15KKqy8
Save the Date! #GivingTuesday is coming back on 12/3. Join the celebration of giving: http://www.givingtuesday.org/
Companies worldwide have come together for this year’s #GivingTuesday on 12/3. How do you plan on giving back? http://www.givingtuesday.org/
Want to learn more about #GivingTuesday? See what makes this year’s national day of giving bigger and bolder: http://bit.ly/15KKqy8