Celebrating Global Leaders and the UN
November 7, 2013 BY Chris Whatley
On Wednesday evening, big names and bold voices like Ted Turner, Jane Fonda, UN Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson, Her Majesty Queen Rania, and Priyanka Chopra joined UN Foundation board members, UN supporters, diplomats, and business leaders at our Global Leadership Awards Dinner.
This dinner, hosted by the UN Foundation and the United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA), benefits our Global Classrooms Model UN program, which connects students in underserved communities with global issues and the work of the UN.
The dinner recognized inspiring leaders who are advancing UN causes, including:
· Malala Yousafzai, the courageous Pakistani teenager who has overcome enormous challenges to speak out for girls education;
· Senator Timothy E. Wirth, the UN Foundation’s Vice Chair and the person who turned Ted Turner’s vision for the UN Foundation into a reality;
· U.S. Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power, who was honored for her fierce commitment to human rights;
· Front-line polio workers, who are performing heroic work in protecting children from this crippling disease;
· GE Africa, a leader in improving health care for women and children through the Secretary-General’s Every Woman Every Child movement; and
· 10x10, the filmmakers who created Girl Rising and are trailblazers in raising awareness of the importance of girls’ education.
You can also follow us on Twitter at: @unausa.
Leave a Comment